Okay, so this is not technically a Pet Blog, and this could present some discord, I realize. But I wanted to answer the questions from the 9th Annual Pet Blogger Challenge at Go Pet Friendly.Com in memory of my very best friend Chelsea Ann Sachiko who went to Rainbow Bridge on November 30, 2018.
Anyone who has ever had a cat realizes that they are never “just a cat”. You have wild ones, shy ones, sweet ones and heck even mean ones, but one thing is for true: they ALL have personalities.
Chelsea was the sweetest cat in the world, but still a cat. She could be stubborn, sneaky and snarky. She could be Zen or insistent. She only bit me twice the entire 19 years I had her and once was because I tried to put a small dog’s dress on her (my bad).
I miss Chelsea for all the companionship she gave me, but if I miss her for nothing else, it’s because she made me laugh. She was by my side no matter what endeavor I was taking on. And she was here when I began this blog. Writing without her here has been somewhat of a challenge, but I keep posting and knowing that she was one of the great inspirations. She is often worked into my posts by mention or a cute picture and that will always be the case. This was Chelsea’s project as well as mine. Because if you know cats, they think everything is for them. And you know what? It is.
And Now… Retro Dee will attempt to take The 2019 Pet Blogger Challenge! Cats, start your purring engines!
1 . For those who may be visiting your blog for the first time, how long have you been blogging and what is your main topic? I have been blogging for 16 months as of January 2019 and my main topic is the 1950’s era.
2. What was your proudest blogging moment of 2018? I think when I saw some terms come up on the search engine directing people to my blog. For example “What did they eat in the 1950s?” and the search engine directed them to my “Life in the 50’s: Food!” blog. I want to educate and preserve that era anyway I can, so to have people look up something about that time and learn from my blog entries is exciting to me.
3. What was the biggest blogging challenge you faced in 2018, and how did/will you tackle it? Bar none, when my cat Chelsea died. I remember I was comforting her as she lay dying, and on that day, I had a really big influx of traffic on my site and I wasn’t even excited about it. Then when she was gone, I wondered how I’d ever write this blog without her sitting next to me. I would read excerpts to her and pet her as I was writing. She helped me just by being a cat.
4. Which of your 2018 blog posts was your favorite and why? (Please include a link.) Well, probably Keeping The 50’s Alive… At Christmas! Pt. 2: Christmas Music of the 1950’s Which included a segment on my late boy Jelly Bean and his apparent love for Kay Starr’s 1953 hit “Man With The Bag”.
5. Which of your 2018 posts was most popular with your audience? Why do you think it does so well? The post I mentioned above “Life in the 50’s: Food!” seemed to be the most popular of 2018, I’m not sure why.
6. Did you implement a new series, feature, or practice on your blog in 2018 that you’re enjoying? I added so much in 2018, so many new categories… I have to say that I enjoy writing about music more than anything. And I love incorporating personal stories and memories.
7. As the social media landscape changes, how are you promoting your blog posts and connecting with new readers? It changes so fast, and I’m very “retro” so it’s a challenge. I just try to help support fellow bloggers and hope they see something I wrote that interests them and gives them some insight to the topics I write about.
8. Looking forward to 2019, if you accomplish only one thing through your blog, what do you hope it is? In one word my blog is about “Preservation”. I’m trying to preserve the 1950’s era. It probably doesn’t need preserving, but the way time is speeding past and the world is changing so much, I think in way, it does. I want people to have learned things from my blog and enjoyed reading. I want them to be entertained. So I want to accomplish two things really: preservation and entertainment. Yeah!
9. What steps are you planning to take to ensure you reach your goal? I just keep writing, and trying to learn more myself. I can really stand to learn a little more. I’m not an expert by any means on any topic.
10. Now it’s your turn! How can we help? Is there an area where you could use some advice, or an aspect of your blog that you’d like input on? Share it here, and we’ll answer you in comments! Not really, I kind of just do my own thing and it’s seemed to work out relatively well so far. But I guess I’d like to know what people want to see more of. Pictures? Personal experiences? Or just facts? Sometimes it’s hard for me to strike a good balance.
Okay so I want to thank Pets On The Go for this challenge and Crystal and Daisy Mae for showing me the link and of course my girl Chelsea for all the warm and fuzzy inspiration she gave me in the last 19 years.